This church is an extraordinary – but often
overlooked – art site. Hidden behind its unassuming façade is a
trove of celebrated art treasures and unique architectural features.
Sta. Maria del Popolo is virtually bursting with remarkable
architecture and art … from the 800-year-old icon adorning the altar …
to the first dome of the Roman Renaissance … to the last Baroque tomb!
was really impressed by the ingenuity and the content of your guide to
Santa Maria del Popolo. … an elegant and eloquent guide to a
Caroline P. Murphy, Author, The Pope’s Daughter
The Jane’s Smart Art™ audio guide to Sta.
Maria del Popolo tells of the central role this delight-filled church
has played in Rome’s history … by virtue of its location just inside
the city’s principle north gate. You’ll learn about some of the
historically-prominent men and women who are buried here -- among the
tombs of more than a dozen Cardinals – and about the artists they
commissioned to decorate their chapels.
guide to Sta. Maria del Popolo is fantastic. I have read everything I
could find (in English) about this church, and I learned so much more
during your tour. The information is easy to follow and
tourist friendly. … such a wonderful resource. Your art guides will be
highly recommended! ”
Carol Stigger, Travel Journalist
Here’s some of what you’ll see:
- Andrea Bregno’s unique Lombard architecture and sculpted tombs and altars
- Pinturicchio’s late 15th C frescoes, grotesques and trompe l’oeil decoration
- Bramante’s famous apse
- Andrea Sansovino’s tombs for Cardinals Girolamo della Rovere and Ascanio Sforza
- Marcillat’s stained glass windows … unusual in Rome
- Raphael’s remarkable Chigi Chapel (1520), completed by Bernini (1652)
- Two Caravaggios: The Martyrdom of St. Peter and The Conversion of St. Paul
- Altarpieces by Annibale Caracci, Carlo Maratta, Sebastiano del Piombo, …
- Much work by Bernini, including Daniel and Habakkuk
- Sculpture by Mino da Fiesole, Lorenzetto, Ercole Ferrata, Algardi, Monnot, …
- Giuseppe Valadier’s design of Piazza del Popolo
- … and still more!
|To review the companion booklet, click here.
Customize Your Tour Your
tour of the interior can be tailored to your degree of interest and
available time by simply skipping the tracks of your choice.
Pre-Visit Context Guide: “A Slice of History” ... 18 minutes
- On-Site Guide, Exterior ... 17 minutes
- On-Site Guide, Interior … 80 minutes
You’ll know what you’re looking at -- accompanied by Jane’s Smart Art™
audio guide -- as you make your way across the piazza and through this
remarkable church. And you’ll gain a deep and lasting appreciation of
the art, the architecture – the essence -- of the place.